Monday

APRIL 4TH

Happy Birthday Frances Langford!





BIRTHDAYS


 
1914
Frances Langford, vocalist
b. Lakeland, FL, USA
d. July 11, 2005 (congestive heart failure).
Age: 92. née: Frances Newbern.
Best recalled for her days with the Bob Hope show.
Her biggest hit was "I'm In The Mood For Love".
Biography 
~by Jason Ankeny
"The Sweetheart of the Fighting Fronts," singer Frances Langford was a World War II heartthrob beloved by troops for her performances as part of Bob Hope's USO tours. Born Frances Newbern in Lakeland, FL, on April 4, 1914, she initially aspired to a career singing opera, but a throat operation permanently changed her vocal register and she gravitated toward big-band music, earning the nickname "The Florida Thrush." While performing on a Tampa radio station, the 16-year-old caught the attention of bandleader Rudy Vallée, who extended an invitation to appear on his national radio program. After appearing on Broadway in 1931's Here Comes the Bride, Langford relocated to Hollywood, where she appeared on Dick Powell's radio show Hollywood Hotel. Langford rocketed to overnight success singing the now-perennial "I'm in the Mood for Love," a song written expressly for her to perform, while co-starring in the 1935 Alice Faye vehicle Every Night at Eight.

She would go on to feature in close to 30 Hollywood films, most notable among them Broadway Melody of 1936, Yankee Doodle Dandy, and The Hit Parade. In 1941 Langford replaced Judy Garland on comedian Hope's Pepsodent-sponsored radio show, and soon after participated in his first military program at Riverside, CA's March Field. When Hope began assembling celebrity revues to entertain U.S. troops stationed overseas, Langford was a regular presence, performing in Africa, Italy, and the Pacific Theater. Servicemen adored her, and her experiences overseas informed her daily newspaper column "Purple Heart Diary," which was later adapted into a 1951 film of the same name.
After the war, Langford starred opposite Don Ameche on radio's The Bickersons -- in 1951, the actors reunited as stars of the short-lived ABC television daytime variety series The Frances Langford-Don Ameche Show. She made her final film in 1954, playing herself in The Glenn Miller Story, but now channeled most of her energy into her nightclub career. In 1955, she married outboard motor heir Ralph Evinrude, moving to his 400-acre estate in Jensen Beach, FL. Together Langford and Evinrude opened a tiki bar dubbed the Outrigger Resort that was a popular destination for fellow celebrities. Langford was a headliner there for close to two decades.

In addition, she returned to television with the 1959 NBC series Frances Langford Presents, retitled The Frances Langford Show the following season. 
In 1966 she gave her farewell USO performances, joining Hope on a tour of Vietnam before returning to the comforts of the Outrigger stage; she performed less and less in the years to follow, devoting much of her time to sailing and fishing than singing. Langford sold the Outrigger following Evinrude's 1986 death, additionally donating their former beach house to serve as the Frances Langford Visitor Center of the Florida Oceanographic Society. In 1989 Langford made her final on-camera appearance when she was featured in Entertaining the Troops, a television special recalling Hope's USO tours. 
Five years later, she married Harold Stuart, the assistant secretary of the Air Force under former president Harry S. Truman. Langford died of congestive heart failure on July 11, 2005, at the age of 91.
1904
Arne Hülphers
Piano/Bandleader
b. Trollhatten, Sweden
d. July 24, 1978, Stockholm, Sweden.



1917
George "Big Chief Jolley" Landry, vocals
b. New Orleans, LA, USA.



1908
Ted McMichael, vocals
b. Marshalltown, IA, USA.
d. Feb. 27, 2001, Camarillo, CA, USA.

Ted McMichael was one of the founders of the popular vocal quartet The Merry Macs. The group had big hits with songs like the nonsense song Mairzy Doats and Sentimental Journey; in the 1940s, and they worked with a number of well-known band leaders, including Joe Haymes, Glenn Miller, Ray Noble, and Paul Whiteman.
Ted McMichael: 1908-2001

King Oliver's Dixieland Syncopators, 1926 Bert Cobb, Paul Barbarin, King Oliver, Bob Shoffner, George Field, Bud Scott, Darnell Howard, Albert Nicholas, Barney Bigard, Luis Russell
1900
Bob Shoffner, trumpet
b. Bessie, TN, USA.
d. 1983, USA.
An excellent trumpeter who was in brilliant form on four recorded titles with Luis Russell in 1926, Bob Shoffner had a long career but was always somewhat obscure. He grew up in St. Louis, started playing drums when he was nine, took up the bugle and then switched to trumpet in 1911. After two years in the Army (1917-19), part of which he spent playing trumpet in a military band, Shoffner worked with Charlie Creath and toured the Midwest with Tommy Parker.
In 1921 he moved to Chicago where he played with John H. Wickcliffe, Everett Robbins' Jazz Screamers and Mae Brady. After a stint back in St. Louis with Creath, Shoffner was in Chicago working with Honore Dutrey's group and in June 1924 becoming Louis Armstrong's first replacement with King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band. Other than brief stints with Dave Peyton and Lottie Hightower's Nighthawks, Shoffner was with Oliver until Feb. 1927. After recovering from lip problems that knocked him out of action for a few months, Shoffner played with Charles Elgar (1928), Erskine Tate, Jerome Carrington, McKinney's Cotton Pickers (1931), Tate again and Frankie Jaxon (1932).
In 1934 he moved to New York and had short stints with Fess Williams and Fletcher Henderson. After playing with Hot Lips Page's band in 1938, Shoffner eventually moved back to Chicago, working with local groups before getting a day job with the State of Illinois. After the mid-1940's (including a recording session with Richard M. Jones), Shoffner retired from music until 1957 when he joined Franz Jackson's Original Jazz All-Stars, gigging with Jackson until 1963 when erratic health forced him to become a part-time player. Bob Shoffner recorded in the 1920's with Lovie Austin's Blues Serenaders, Jimmy O'Bryant, Ida Cox and Russell among others, cut two songs for Mercury in 1945 (obscure selections in which he is joined by vocalist Earl Jones) and recorded a few albums with Franz Jackson in the early 1960's.
~ Scott Yanow
1915
"Muddy" Waters, vocals/guitar
ne: McKinley Morganfield
b. Rolling Fork, MS, USA.
d. April 30, 1983, Westmont, IL, USA.
né: McKinley Morganfield.
Best known record: "Hoochie Coochie Man"
Muddy Waters, was an American blues musician and 

is generally considered "the Father of Chicago blues".



Notable Events Occurring
On This Date Include:


1943.
Tiny Parham, piano
died in Milwaukee, WS, USA.
Age 43.

1960.
Sylvester Weaver, guitar
died in Louisville, KY, USA.
Age: 62.

Songs Recorded/Released
On This Date Include:



1921




Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra - My Man (Mon Homme)
  • Moonlight

1924


Bessie Smith - Pinchbacks - Take "Em Away

1925


Waring's Pennsylvanians - Collegiate

1928




Chicago Rhythm Kings - I've Found A New Baby

The Broadway Bell-Hops
  • Goodnight (I'll See You In The Morning)
  • In The Evening
  • Sweet Sue - Just You

Harry Reser and his Orchestra
  • She's A Great, Great Girl

1929



Jabbo Smith's Rhythm Aces - Decatur Street Tutti
1932



Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra - In the Park in Paree

LYRICS:


MY MAN (MON HOMME)
Fanny Brice - Ziegfeld Follies of 1921
~Music : Maurice Yvain
~English Lyrics: Channing Pollack - 1920)

It's cost me a lot
But there's one thing that I've got
It's my man.

Cold and wet
Tired, you bet
But all that I soon forget
With my man.

He's not much for looks
And no hero out of books
Is my man...

Two or three girls has he
That he likes as well as me
But I love him!

I don't know why I should
He isn't any good
He isn't true
But I'll stick to him like glue
What else can I do?

Oh my man, I love him so!
He'll never know.
All my life is just despair
But I don't care!

When he takes me in his arms
The world is bright,
All right!

What's the difference if I say
I'll go away?
When I know I'll come back
On my knees some day;
For whatever my man is
I am his
Forever more!

Sometimes I say
If I just could get away
With my man

He'd go straight, sure as fate,
For it never is too late
For a man.

I just like to dream of a cottage by a stream
With my man

Where a few flowers grew and perhaps a kid or two
Like my man.

And then my eyes get wet
I 'most forget

'Til he gets hot
And tells me not to talk
such rot...

Oh my man, I love him so!
He'll never know.
All my life is just despair
But I don't care!

When he takes me in his arms
The world is bright
All right!

What's the difference if I say
I'll go away
When I know I'll come back
On my knees some day
For whatever my man is
I am his
Forever more!

TubaGirlFin 
brought to you by...  
~confetta
Special Thanks To:
The Red Hot Jazz Archives,
The Big Band Database, Scott Yanow, 

and all those who have provided content,
images and sound files for this site.

No comments: