Friday

JANUARY 14TH




BIRTHDAYS


1908
Russ Columbo, Actor/vocalist
b. Philadelphia, PA, USA.
d. 4 Sept 1934, Los Angeles, CA. (accidental shooting).
né: Ruggerio Eugenio di Rudolpho Colombo.
Ruggiero Eugenio di Rodolpho Colombo, better known by the name Russ Columbo, was an American singer, violinist and actor, most famous for his signature tune, "Some Call It Madness, But I Call It Love," and the legend surrounding his early death.
Columbo was born in Camden, New Jersey, the twelfth child of Italian immigrant parents. He started playing the violin while still very young, and debuted professionally at the age of 13. He left high school at 17 to travel with various bands around the country. He sang and played violin in numerous nightclubs.
By 1928, at the age of 20, Columbo began to participate in motion pictures. In several of his early films, his voice and violin were overdubbed to create the illusion that various popular entertainers were musical. Eventually, he did obtain some feature work in front of the camera, but he slowed down his activities in cinema to pursue other interests.
Columbo tried to run a nightclub for a while, but the venture was unsuccessful. In 1931, he traveled to New York with his manager, songwriter Con Conrad. Conrad secured a late-night radio slot with NBC. This led to numerous engagements, a recording contract with Victor records, and tremendous popularity with legions of mostly female fans. The type of singing that was popularized by the likes of Columbo, Rudy Vallee, and Bing Crosby is called crooning. Columbo disliked the label, but it caught on with the general public. It gained popular credence, despite its initial use as a term of derision for the singers employing their low, soothing voices in romantic songs.
On September 1, 1934, Columbo was shot under peculiar circumstances by his longtime friend, photographer Lansing Brown. Columbo's death was ruled an accident, and Brown exonerated from blame.
1900
Charles Bocage
Banjo/Guitar/vocals
b. New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
d. Nov. 4, 1963.
One of the "musical families" of old New Orleans. His brother Peter Bocage played the Cornet, and another brother Henry Bocage played the Tuba, and the double Bass.


1916
Maxwell Davis
Tenor Saxophone/arranger/producer
b. Independence, MO, USA.
d: Sept, 18, 1970, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
Over his long career, Davis played with such bands and stars as Fletcher Henderson Orchestra, Percy Mayfield, Louis Jordan, Amos Milburn, Helen Humes, B.B. King, "T-Bone" Walker, Charles Brown, Floyd Dixon, and Lowell Fulson.



1896
Seymour Simons
Composer
b. Detroit, MI, USA
d. Feb. 12, 1949, Detroit, MI, USA.
Seymour Simons was an American jazz musician and composer born in Detroit, Michigan. He co-wrote the hit song "All of Me" with Gerald Marks. The song "All of Me" received the Towering Song award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Simons had hits from teens to late 1930s.
Seymour Simons - Wikipedia



1895
Erskine Tate 
Violin/Leader
b. Memphis, TN, USA. 
d. Dec. 17, 1978.
Erskine Tate was a violinist and leader of a band that played at the Vendome Theatre in Chicago (3143-45 East 31st at State Street) from 1919 to 1928. Among the musicians who played with the Vendome Orchestra were Louis Armstrong, Lil Hardin-Armstong and Freddie Keppard. Erskine Tate was active in Chicago as a bandleader until the mid-1930s playing the music for Leo A. Seltzer's Walkathons which were marathon dances. It is interesting to note that comedians Dick "Lord" Buckley and Red Skelton were the masters of ceremonies at these dance marathons. Tate left show business in the late 1930s and became a music teacher.


1881
Princess White Deere
vocals
b. Philadelphia, PA, USA.
d. 1992.
Born Esther Deer, a full-blooded Mohawk woman, she is now called the first American Indian to gain fame as a dancer and vocalist. Originally, she toured around the world as part of 'Texas Jack’s Wild West Show', but later broke away, and with her own family, formed 'The Deer Family Troupe' western show, usually billed as "The Famous Deer Brothers Champion Indian Trick Riders of the World," which performed across Europe and America in the early 1900's. However, Esther Deer only gained national fame when she left the show, and became a solo act working in the "Florenz Ziefeld Follies", where she sang and danced, - crossing over from "Wild West" to straight ahead vaudeville.
Princess White Deer 090 - 1921 - by E.O. Hoppe


1912
David A. Young
Tenor Sax
b. Nashville, TN, USA.
d. Dec. 25, 1992.
~Biography
by Chris Kelsey
David A. Young was a tenor saxophonist with Horace Henderson, Fletcher Henderson, Roy Eldridge, Lucky Millinder, and Sammy Price, among others. Young grew up in Chicago where he first studied music. Beginning his career in 1932; he also served in he Navy during World War II. After the service, Young led his own band in Chicago. In 1947, the group recorded several sides for the Aristocrat label featuring the singers Andrew Tibbs and Clarence Samuels; they also recorded with the singer Dinah Washington, then played an engagement with her at the Ritz Lounge. A short time later, Young left music to begin writing full-time for the Chicago Defender newspaper.



Notable Events Occurring
On This Date Include:



1949.
George Baquet, cornet
died in Philadelphia, PA, USA.
Age: 66.
George Baquet (1882/1883 – Jan. 14, 1949) was an American jazz clarinetist, known for his contributions to early jazz in New Orleans.
His father, Theogene Baquet, was also a clarinetist, as were his brothers, Achille and Harold. (Hal Baquet was stabbed to death, and the murder was once thought to have been carried out by Clarence Williams.)
Baquet's professional career began in 1897 while he was still in his early teens. He played in the Lyre Club Symphony Orchestra and then on the road with P.T. Wright's Nashville Student Minstrels. He then joined the Georgia Minstrels, but returned to New Orleans in 1905, where he played with Buddy Bolden. In the 1900s and early 1910s he played off and on with John Robichaux, Freddie Keppard, and the Onward Brass Band. Baquet and Keppard played in Los Angeles with the Original Creole Orchestra, an ensemble Baquet remained in until 1916. Both Keppard and Baquet considered recording at this time, but didn't; Keppard worried about the theft of his musical ideas, and Baquet had financial concerns.
Later in the decade Baquet played in New York City at Coney Island. In 1923 he joined Sam Gordon and his band, the Lafayette Players, in Philadelphia; Baquet lived there until his death. He assembled several of his own groups, including the New Orleans Nighthawks and George Bakey's Swingsters (sic). In the 1920s, Baquet recorded with Bessie Smith; in 1929, he recorded with Jelly Roll Morton, and in the 1940s with Sidney Bechet.
1964.
For the first time, a "hootenanny" was held at the White House, as the New Christy Minstrels entertained President and Lady Bird Johnson, as well as Italy's President.



Songs Recorded/Released
On This Date Include:



1925


Bessie Smith
Bessie Smith - Cold In Hand Blues

Bessie Smith - Reckless Blues

Bessie Smith - Sobbin' Hearted Blues

Bessie Smith - St. Louis Blues


Original Indiana Five - I'd Rather Be Alone (Just Thinking Of You)



Ben Selvin And His Orchestra - I Wish't I Was in Peoria
  • Sweet Child


Lee Morse And Her Bluegrass Boys - In The Middle Of The Night



Paul Specht And His Orchestra  - Static Strut
  • Take This Rose
  • Drifting Apart

1928


Harry Reser and his Orchestra - “Henry's Made A Lady Out Of Lizzie”

1929



Ray Starita And His Ambassadors Club Band

  • One And One Are Two
  • Dada! Dada!
  • In The Shadows
  • Falling In Love With You

1931



Dave Nelson and the King's Men - I Ain't Got Nobody
LYRICS:



All Of Me


All of me, why not take all of me?
Can't you see I'm no good without you?
Take my lips I wanna lose them
Take my arms I'll never use them


Your goodbyes left me
with eyes that cry
How can I get along without you?
You took the part
that once was my heart
So why not take all of me?


Your goodbyes left me
with eyes that cry
Now I'm lost without you
You took the part
that once was my heart


All of me, why not take all of me?
Can't you see I'm a mess without you?
You took the part
that used to be my heart
So why not take all of me?

Prisoner Of Love
~First recorded by writer Columbo in 1932
~Words by Leo Robin
~Music by Russ Columbo & Clarence Gaskill

Alone from night to night you'll find me
Too weak to break the chains that bind me
I need no shackles to remind me
I'm just a prisoner of love

For one command I stand and wait now
From one who's master of my fate now
I can't escape for it's too late now
I'm just a prisoner of love

What's the good of my caring 
if someone is sharing those arms with me
Although she has another, 
I can't have another for I'm not free

She's in my dreams awake or sleeping
Upon my knees to her I'm creeping
My very life is in her keeping
I'm just a prisoner of love

What's the good of my caring if someone is sharing those arms with me
Although she has another, I can't have another for I'm not free

She's in my dreams awake or sleeping
Upon my knees to her I'm creeping
My very life is in her keeping
I'm just a prisoner of love



Lyrics by: B.G. DeSylva
Music by: Dr. Robert Katscher

Since you've gone away, one thing is clear to me,
You were dearer than dear to me
From the moment you came.
Evenings by your side, I learned to love the night,
But the loveliness of the night
Is no longer the same.
Chorus:
When day is done and shadows fall,
I dream of you.
When day is done, I think of all the joys we knew
That yearning returning to hold you in my arms,
Won't go, love, I know, love,
Without you night has lost its charms!
When day is done and grass is wet with twilight's dew,
My lonely heart is sinking with the sun.
Although I miss your tender kiss the whole day through,
I miss you most of all when day is done.

Vesper bells are ringing, somewhere far away,
There's a silvery star away
At the edge of the sky.
Work is done, and life is like a song to me,
For some treasures belong to me
That no money can buy.
Chorus:
When day is done and shadows fall,
I dream of you.
When day is done, I think of all the joys we knew
That yearning returning to hold you in my arms,
Won't go, love, I know, love,
Without you night has lost its charms!
When day is done and grass is wet with twilight's dew,
My lonely heart is sinking with the sun.
Although I miss your tender kiss the whole day through,
I miss you most of all when day is done.

TubaGirlFin
brought to you by... 

~confetta

Special Thanks To:
The Red Hot Jazz Archives,
The Big Band Database, Scott Yanow,
and all those who have provided content,
images and sound files for this site.

No comments: