Saturday

OCTOBER 2ND

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


BIRTHDAYS



1927
Herb Coleman, vocals
b. New York, NY, USA.
Member: "Delta Rhythm Boys".



1898
Otis Rene, label owner (Excelsior Records)
b. New Orleans, LA, USA.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
1913
Walter "Wally" Rose, Piano
b. Oakland, CA
d. Jan. 12, 1997.
One of three sons born to Janet Pecansu and Manuel Rodrigues, who had emigrated from Portugal. The family changed their name to Rose before Wally's birth. Born at home in Oakland, California, Wally always gave credit to his mother for encouraging him to learn the piano. He had become interested upon discovering some piano rolls in the attic of a friend's house. He first studied piano at Castlemont High School and after graduation played in dance bands aboard cruise ships in the early 1930s, including a sea-going unit of the Anson Weeks Orchestra.
In 1938, Rose joined the short-lived dance band of Harry Barris. (Harry was one of Paul Whiteman's original Rhythm Boys - Barris, Al Rinker and Bing Crosby - Rinker was songstress Mildred Bailey's brother - both were part Native Americans). Barris also composed "I Surrender Dear". Rose joined Lu Watters in 1940. Rose's recording of George Botsford's "Black And White Rag" (Jazz Man Record No. 1, recorded in San Francisco, March 22, 1942) initiated the worldwide 1940s-50s revival of ragtime. Rose remained with Watters throughout the 1940s, except for three years Navy service.
After his discharge from the U. S. Navy he began teaching piano. Rose played with Bob Scobey during 1950-51, Turk Murphy 1952-54, and spent many years as soloist in San Francisco. For a decade, Wally was about the only pianist who kept ragtime alive. Pianist Max Morath has said it was Wally Rose "...who pioneered the rediscovery of ragtime".
MORE


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
1915
"Chubby" Wise (Bluegrass/Western Swing) fiddle/Guitar/Songwriter/Composer
b. Lake City, Fl, USA. né: Robert Russell Wise.
Doodah Bio



Notable Events Occurring
On This Date Include:

1925
Josephine Baker opened in Paris
at the Théâtre Champs-Elysées,
where she became an instant success
for her erotic dancing and appearing
practically naked on stage.
Josephine had two numbers in La Revue Negré. In the first routine she danced a frantic version of the Charleston while accompanied by a jazz band that featured Sidney Bechet. Her second routine was the closing number of the show was called "Danse de Sauvage". It was an erotic dance that she performed with the male dancer named Joe Alex. This dance was the hit of the show and proved to be the role that would launch Josephine towards stardom in Europe.


1976.
Butter Jackson trombone died.
Age: 67.


1983.
Francis Williams, trumpet
died in Houston, PA, USA.
Age: 73.
Francis Williams: Information from Answers.com


1989.
Joe ("Pleasant Joseph") Cousin
piano/guitar/songwriter died in New Orleans, LA, USA.
Age: 81.
"Cousin Joe" was an American blues and jazz singer, later famous for his 1940s recordings with clarinetist Sidney Bechet and saxophonist Mezz Mezzrow. His birth name was Pleasant Joseph and he was born in Wallace, Louisiana. He died in his sleep from natural causes in New Orleans, at the age of 81.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
1998.
Gene Autry
Actor/Western Vocalist
died Studio City, CA, USA.
Age: 91.
Orvon Eugene Autry (September 29, 1907 – October 2, 1998), better known as Gene Autry, was an American performer who gained fame as The Singing Cowboy on the radio, in movies and on television for more than three decades beginning in the 1930s. Autry was also owner of the Los Angeles/California Angels Major League Baseball team from 1961 to 1997, as well as a television station and several radio stations in southern California.
Although his signature song was "Back in the Saddle Again", Autry is best known today for his Christmas holiday songs, "Here Comes Santa Claus" (which he wrote), "Frosty the Snowman", and his biggest hit, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer".
He is a member of both the Country Music and Nashville Songwriters halls of fame, and is the only celebrity to have five stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Songs Recorded/Released
On This Date Include:



1907




Arthur Collins - "Dixie Dan" - Furth tune, ex show: "Great White Way"


1908



Steve Porter - "Christmas Morning at Clancey's" - Steve Porter tune



Peerless Quartet
  • "In Grandma's Day" - Sutton tune

Harry MacDonough
  • Love
  • "Make my Dream Come True" - Brown tune


1913



Charles Harrison - "When You and I Were Young Maggie" - Butterfield tune.


1914


Morton Harvey - "Memphis Blues" - William C. Handy tune.


1922


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The Virginians
The Virginians - Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate - Armand Piron tune
  • Gee! But I Hate To Go Home Alone

1923


Manhattan Merrymakers
Clara Smith
The California Ramblers
  • Mama Loves Papa, Papa Loves Mama
  • You Darling You

1924


California Ramblers
  • "I Want To See My Tennessee" - Kalmar and Ruby tune.

Josie Miles accompanied by the Kansas City Five - Mad Mama's Blues
Josie Miles accompanied by the Kansas City Five - Sweet Man Joe
  • Temper'mental Papa



    Ray Miller's Orchestra (Al Jolson voc.) "All Alone"


    1925


    Isham Jones & his Orchestra - 

    • "Oh Boy, What a Girl" ~ Green; Wright; Bessinger Tune



    charleston-orginal1.gif charleston-orginal picture by confetta_bucket
    *Charleston (dance) - Wikipedia


    Isham Jones & his Orchestra  - *"Original Charleston" - mack-johnson Tune





    Roger Wolfe Kahn & his Orchestra - Look Who's Here

    • "Bam Bam Bammy Shore"

    Bennie Krueger & his Orchestra



    Fess Williams and his Royal Flush Orchestra
    • Green River Blues

    1927



    Ray Miller and his Hotel Gibson Orchestra - I Ain't Got Nobody


    1928



    Wynn's Creole Jazz Band - Down By The Levee - Vocal Chorus by "Punch" Miller.

    Wynn's Creole Jazz Band - She's Crying For Me

      Cow Cow Davenport
      • Chimin' The Blues


      Ashley's Melody Men - "Searcy County Rag"

      Carolina Club Orchestra
      • Somebody Mighty Like You



      The Knickerbockers (Selvin 's Orch.) - "You've Made Me Happy Today"



      Paul Tremaine and his Aristocats
      • "Aristocratic Stomp"
      • "Sighing For The Moon" - tune: Lee Lobdell

      Syd Valentine's Patent Leather Kids
      Syd Valentine's Patent Leather Kids were from Indianpolis, Indiana. These sides are done as a trio, but when the band played live they had as many as ten pieces in the orchestra. This group recorded six other songs accompanying Blues singer Hattie Snow on the same day that this session was recorded.
      • Asphalt Walk
      • Jelly Bean Drag
      • Patent Leather Stomp
      • Rock And Gravel

      Douglas Williams and his Orchestra
      • "Beale Street Sheik"

      1930


      Harry Dial's Bluesicians
      • I Like What I Like Like I Like It
      • It Must Be Love

      Duke Ellington and his Cotton Club Orchestra
      • Hittin' The Bottle - (From Earl Carroll's "Vanities") Vocal refrain by Dick Robertson
      • Memories Of You - (From Lew Leslie's "Blackbirds of 1930") Vocal refrain by Dick Robertson
      • That Lindy Hop - (From Lew Leslie's "Blackbirds of 1930")
      • You're Lucky To Me

      Victor Young & his Orchestra (voc. N.lucas)
      • "Goodnight Sweetheart"

      Red Nichols & his 5 Pennies
      • "Junk Man Blues"

      1933


      Joe Venuti's Blue Four/Five/Six

      Jazz Me Blues - Sweet Lorraine



        1934


        Ted Lewis and his Band
        • I'll Close My Eyes To Everyone Else (If You'll Open Your Heart To Mine)
        • Isn't It A Shame?
        • My Old Flame

        Ted Lewis and his Band - Sweetie Pie



          1936



          Eddy Duchin & his Orchestra - "It's De-Lovely"
          "To Mary With Love"


            1939


            Benny Goodman Sextet - "Rose Room" - (on Col.) (recording date)

            Red Nichols & his Orchestra

            1942


            Bing Crosby
            • "White Christmas "

            1945


            Kay Kyser Orchestra
            • "Coffee Time"


            LYRICS:
            Image result

            Josie Miles
            Mad Mama's Blues

            Wanna set the world on fire

            That is my one mad desire
            I'm a devil in disguise
            Got murder in my eyes
            Now I could see blood runnin'
            Through the streets
            Now I could see blood runnin'
            Through the streets
            Could be everybody
            Layin' dead right at my feet
            Now man who invented war
            Sure is my friend
            The man invented war
            Sure is my friend
            Don't believe that I'm sinkin'
            Just look what a hole I am in
            Give me gunpowder
            Give me dynamite
            Give me gunpowder
            Give me dynamite
            Yes I'd wreck the city
            Wanna blow it up tonight
            I took my big Winchester
            Down off the shelf
            I took my big Winchester
            Down off the shelf
            When I get through shootin'
            There won't be nobody left




            My Old Flame
            Arthur Johnston & 
            Sam Coslow


            My old flame
            I can't even think of her name
            But it's funny now and then
            How my thoughts go flashing back again
            To my old flame
            My old flame
            My new lovers all seem so tame
            'Cause I haven't met a girl
            So magnificent or elegant
            As my old flame
            I've met so many who had fascinating ways
            A fascinating gaze in their eyes
            Some who took me up to the sky's
            But their attempts at love
            Were only imitations of
            My old flame
            I can't even think of her name
            But I'll never be the same
            Until I discover what became
            Of my old flame
            My old flame
            I can't even think of her name
            But I'll never be the same
            Until I discover what became
            Of my old flame
            My old flame

            TubaGirlFin
            brought to you by...
            ~confetta
            Special Thanks To:
            and all those who have provided content,
            images and sound files for this site.

            No comments: